30 Facts That Warped Our Perspective of Space and Time

30 Facts That Warped Our Perspective of Space and Time

It’s a good thing that numbers are infinite, because for some of these size and age measurements, we’re gonna need all the numbers we can get. Let’s all go track down some digits right now, and we’ll meet back here soon to throw them all into these facts. It probably won’t be enough, but we’ve gotta try, dagnabbit!

The Big Splat What if the Big Bang was actually a Big Splat of two colliding universes? Some cosmologists believe that our ever-expanding universe could expand right into another expanding universe, generating enough energy to create a whole new universe. CRACKED.COM

Source

CRACKED A JIFFY IS A REAL THING BACK IN A JIKEY A jiffy is a really short amount of time - it's about one-fiftieth of a second in the UK's electrical system. It's so short that it's the amount of time it takes light to travel a distance of one millionth of a millionth of a millimeter.

Source

TIME SLOWS DOWN WHEN YOU'RE ON THE MOVE According to special relativity, time passes more slowly for something that's moving compared to something that's standing still. If it's moving really fast, like the speed of light, time almost stops. CRACKED

Source

There might be six billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy Earth is pretty special to us, but the estimate is based on rocky, Earth-sized planets with a similar distance to a Sun-like star. CRACKED.COM

Source

Humans are closer in time to T. rex than T. rex to Stegosaurus Stegosaurus lived 155 to 150 million years ago, while the last T. rex lived about 66 million years ago. CRACKED.COM

Source

THE UNIVERSE IS SO OLD Dark Energy Accelerated Expansion Afterglow Light Pattern Dark Ages Development of 380,000 yrs. Galaxies, Planets, etc. Inflation Quantum Fluctuations 1st Stars about 400 million yrs. Big Bang Expansion 13.7 billion years CRACKED.COM Astronomers calculated the age of our 13.7 billion year old universe (give or take 130 million years) by measuring the composition of matter and energy to determine how fast the universe expanded in the past. They basically turned back the clock to pinpoint the moment of the Big Bang.

Source

95% OF THE UNIVERSE IS INVISIBLE CRACKED.COM Ordinary, observable matter like you, me, planets and stars make up a measly 5% of the universe (and, of that, only half has been spotted with telescopes). The other 95% of the universe is 68% invisible dark energy and 27% dark matter.

Source

Tags

Scroll down for the next article

MUST READ

Forgot Password?